Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Howdy-Do!!

Time started: 5:56

I just finished watching Song of the South for the first time.
It was predictable and the acting was pretty bad, but I liked it. I'm glad I was able to finally see it--BIGGGG, COLOSSAL thank you to Kai for lending it to me--especially since Splash Mountain is, like, my all-time favorite ride in Disneyland. It's totally worth the two-plus hour wait. Haha, it's probably not that long. It only seems like it because there's nothing to do but dance in line and sing along to the same verse of the area music--it varies depending on where in line you sit.
I remember the first time we went on it and we'd gotten to the Laughin' Place part, my sister totally quoted Star Wars.
"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!" Granted, we were soaking wet and she absolutely despizes (I probably spelt that wrong) songs that are repetitive.
Every song in that ride is the exact same notes every verse. Very repetitive. Very easy to get stuck in your head.

But I love it. My mom used to read my sister and I the Disney addition of Uncle Remus every night, so Br'er Rabbit has some very close ties to my childhood.
That's another thing; I know Song of the South is banned in the US because it's supposedly racist, but I don't get it. I mean, sure, there's slavery, but it's not like Huck Finn where there's questionable vocabulary. I understand it puts America in a bad light or whatever, but come on! Even after spending the better part of a quarter talking about stereotypes concerning African Americans and what not, I don't see how the movie could be considered vulgar. It's Disney, for crying out loud! I guess if you were looking for any kind of racism, than sure, it's there, but it's not like the African Americans are beaten or in chains or anything.
If you were to take the roles and reverse the cast--that is to say, have the 'whites' portrayed as 'blacks' and vice versa--then it would still be just as acceptable as it is now. People have servants--moreso back then than they do now, granted--and with that in mind I think there's no reason to ban the movie.
Or maybe I'm just hopelessly niive and the truth is there but I'm too stubborn to notice.

I dunno, and I honnestly don't care. Call it what you want, I liked the movie.

Though I was honestly dissappointed with most of the acting. Uncle Remus was great, but Johnny and Ginny and basically everyone else was just pitiful. Call it the actor in me, but every time either of the kids was crying I kept critiquing the performance. "Little kids don't have a straight face when they're crying," or, "Your whole body would be shaking if you were really crying that hard."
Yeah, they're just kids, and it was back in the day, but it was still dissappointing.

The most dissappointing thing, however, was definatly the 'toon segments. Br'er Rabbit stuttered so much you couldn't tell what he was saying, Br'er Fox talked so fast I would have been lost if I didn't know the Uncle Remus stories from the book, and Br'er Bear talked so slow it would have taken him half an hour to say "I like pie."
Though these critiques are completely biased to my mom's epic accents of awesomeness. I can accept the Splash Mountain recording because it's close to my mom's, but the movie just kinda killed it for me.

I dunno, I'm picky about some things. This is one of them.

The fact that Dudley is supposed to be blond is another.

But that's a story for another day.


This has been a certified drabble courtesy of Sincerely Doubtful Productions.

No comments:

Post a Comment