Friday, May 13, 2011

60th POST KIRIBAN!!!!! Reflection/Cover Letter

Time Started: 5:15


Is it really my 60th post already? Wholy swiss cheese on a stick! Hehe, I'm in a good mood right now. It's my best friend "Stitch's" 17th birthday today! And we'll probably be cyberbowling later :)

For those of you who don't know, a Kiriban is when you reach a certain quantity, i.e. 500 page views or 60 posts.  It's usually in increments of either 10 or 100, depending on personal preference. Another example would be my 240th page view, which I was lucky enough to catch :)
I'd like to take this time to give a shoutout to all of my invisible viewers, be them truly interested or having merely stumbled into my lair of crazy. Thanks, everyone, you've really helped me through! :)

So yeah, what better way to spend my 60th post than on reflection?

When I first started this blog, I still wasn't really sure what I was going to do. I knew I wanted a minimal of ten minutes' worth of writing per post, but other than that I honestly didn't have much of a direction. There was a lot of experimentation--both in designing the blog and what to put in it. Though not my first 'blog' by any means, it was the first official one. I'd done a LiveJournal once, but it quickly died out, and I don't really do much on my Deviantart journal except Memes.
The beginning posts consisted of a lot of rambling at myself--I wasn't really sure who I was writing to, since no one but followers were able to see it. When I opened it to the public I realized that people from all over the world were viewing it--even if they didn't comment, knowing I was amusing enough to earn an audience really helped. This was around the end of March, not long after my first attempt at posting ATJ.  Of course, around that time was also when the thing with my grandparents happened, so I suppose it wasn't until after that little struggle that I started growing stronger with my confidence on here.

At first, I wasn't really sure if I had a process. I'd get on my laptop, check my email, then open Blogger; make a title, type the time started, and begin. Ten-plus minutes later--usually more around half an hour or so--I'd skim over it and click 'PUBLISH POST'.
But then I realized that that was my process. I wasn't making a short-story or a series of poems, so my process can't have been anything in-depth or related to drafting or whatever, so there it was staring me in the face.
Another thing I hadn't realized I'd been doing is the revision step. Now, originally, I'd been sure that I would fail this portion of the assignment--I mean, what kind of revision can one do in a blog? But then I thought about it. In most of my later posts, I ended up bringing up topics I'd already touched on--a perfect example being posts Twelve and Thirty-Two. In post 12, I give a half-ramble about Oswald the Lucky Rabbit, Ortensia Cat and Fanny Cottontail. I said I wanted Oswald to get a legit voice actor--which, lo and behold, they finally did! Except there's one problem--they chose the actor that also did Fred from Scooby-Doo, and you can obviously tell. I express my opinion  of this little decision quite avidly in the latter link, and therefore won't be getting further into that topic here.
Another, slightly more obvious point of revision was my struggle with my Kingdom Hearts Fanfic, touched on in various posts around the April-ish area. At first I was going to leave it as is, then I scrapped everything and tried to start from scratch, then scrapped the scrap and went back to the original, then started to just simply edit the original, then finally gave up and took a break from it for a while. I'm still indecisive of what to do, so I haven't touched it yet, but there are quite a few attempts at revision on that monster in here.

I think my favorite part of this project would be the total freedom. If I needed to vent, I could vent, and as long as I stayed within my guidelines, I was on track. It was a great way to end the year, being able to pick my own course of action and what-not. I wasn't really proud of the first unit, considering it wasn't exactly in my comfort zone, and the poetry was frustrating but enjoyable. Third Quarter's Short Story unit wasn't what I expected--having not really realized the commitment to be able to crank out a potentially publishable short story in nine weeks--and I was a little worried I wouldn't be able to pick one set plan this quarter. I think that's why I left it open to myself--If I'd chosen something like a comic or another short story I know I'd feel totally pressured and want to switch half-way through. Being free to do more-or-less whatever I want really made this project worthwhile.



So yeah, I think I've rambled enough on that. I don't plan on giving this up any time soon--I'll definately try for a post a day still, though there may be times where I just forget or really don't feel up to it. Ah well, here's hoping!


This has been a certified drabble courtesy of Sincerely Doubtful Productions

1 comment:

  1. Yea! I totally love that you found revision in your certified drabbles. I also love that hyperlinks allow you to instantly point me to your revisions. Blogs are awesome in so many ways, and now I can add a couple more. I'm really glad you made the project work for you, and I really do hope you continue to write here for your own purposes-- you've put so many thoughts and so much thought in, you might as well keep going! I'm making a blog entry with links to my students' blogs that are public, so I'll put yours in. Have fun checking your stats!

    ReplyDelete