Thursday, March 31, 2011

The World is a Carousel of Color...

Time Started: 10:10

No, things aren't back to normal--yet. We won't have a major update until the eleventh.

But I can't let it drag me down. As long as they're okay, then I have to be, too.

So instead I'm going to do a little Disney-based commentary.

I changed my blog's design again.
But that's what I get when I listen to D-COT and the Disneyland Playlist on my computer. Right now it's on World of Color, which is what the title came from.

But that's not what I really wanna talk about.
What I REALLY wanna talk about is Oswald and Mickey.
To quote Walt Disney;

"It all started with a mouse."

But this, in fact, is a lie. Before Mickey Mouse, there was Oswald the Lucky Rabbit, who was unfortunately bought up by Charles Mintz and sold to Universal, sat in storage for a good 50+ years, and was finally returned in '06.

To quote Disney again;
Is it just me, or do the two quotes seem oddly contradictal?
On the one hand, he says that family should stay together. On the other, he's totally ignoring his oldest 'child' and giving all the credit to the younger brother. Said younger brother whom, without his rabbit sibling, would never have been created.
Mickey gets everything--he stars in every theme park, a nice upgrade in design, has had some form of cameo in most--if not all--disney films, not to mention multiple of his own TV shows, merchandise, and music.
What does poor Ozzie get?
A game where he doesn't talk and is more or less portrayed as the bad guy, a plushie, and a handful of limited-edition merch.
Going back farther, to his time in Universal's care, this also includes a rather questionable cartoon that I never have nor will ever see, during which Oswald plays a trick on his boss by dressing in drag, only to be nearly raped. (Again, I never plan on watching it, so this could be false. But even then, the idea of it isn't a pretty one)

And while we're on the topic of questionable decisions, let's examine Ozzie's love life, shall we?
His first girlfriend went by the name "Fanny Cottontail", supposedly. She was a decent character at first, but morphed into a slut who dumped Oswald for his rival-with-no-name.
Then he meets Sadie the Cat, who was eventually transfered into Minnie Mouse's character. Basically the same character, with minor differences in appearance.
And then comes Ortensia, the mother to Oswald's 400-some-odd children.

Image (c) LuckyOswald on Deviantart
Ortensia, I think, is a much stronger character. She isn't at all Damsel-in-Distress material, actually an extrovert, but still just as kind and gentle as Minne.

Of course, in the fandom world, there are plenty of people who believe Ortensia shouldn't be with Ozzie, but it should be Fanny because she's a rabbit too, but I think that's bull. That's like saying 'You can't marry her because she isn't white.'
Talk about racist! I know, they're just cartoon characters, whatever. I probably wouldn't have such a problem with the issue to begin with, if it weren't for their reasoning.
I understand it's Minnie and Mickey Mouse, but there's Mortimer Mouse, too. Should he join in too because he's part of the circle? I think not.
If a FannyXOz shipper can give me a sound reasoning for why they prefer that to OrtensiaXOz, then I'll respect that and leave them alone.
Just find better arguments than the overly-racist
"OMYGAWDOZSHOULDLIKETOTALLYBWITFANNEHBCTHEYREBOTHRABBITS!!!!!ONE!!!1111"
Yeah, I went there, mr.-unidentified-OXF-shipper.

See, I love Ortensia because of the fact that she's different. She isn't your typical cut-and-paste damsel, she cares about Oswald and their children, and she doesn't back down. And Disney chose her for the 'canon pairing' because of their differences. Because different is wonderful, and because diversity is beautiful.

And though I doubt anyone of Disney would ever read this before I enter the Disney College Program (or the world ends, whichever comes first), there are three things that I wish Disney would do, now that Oswald is finally back.
1) Give him a voice actor. Mickey has one, and it's only fair. THe poor Rabbit can't be a mime forever, damnit!
2) Incorporate him into the theme parks. Thankfully, with all of the rennovations of California Adventures, there actually is hope for that... (check out their blog for all kinds of Ozzie updates)
3) Give him some limelight, damnit! We've whored abused the Mickey logo long enough. Can't we at least add Oswald? Maybe make him in charge of Disney Channel to start or something...
Image (c) Rica-Fox-Prower on Deviantart
At least for tommorow! It IS April Fool's Day, after all!
(Speaking of which, I can't wait to see what Deviantart does to our icons. Two years ago it was "So I heard u liek Mudkips?" and last year it was Team Gaga >X3)

This has been a certefied drabble courtesy of the very tired Sincerely Doubtful Productions

No comments:

Post a Comment