Sunday, July 31, 2011

Quoth the author, "Pottermore"

Cannon n. Commonly used by fans of any particular book, movie, TV series, etc. Typically used in accordance with aforementioned book, movie, TV series, etc's plotline. If something is cannon it is true to the plotline set out by the creator of aforementioned fandom. 
In layman's terms, something is only cannon if it can be backed by the original material. IE Harry Potter's godfather is Sirius Black. This is cannon because it is stated in both the third film and book.

Fannon n. Commonly used by fans of any particular book, movie, TV series, etc. Typically used in accordance with aforementioned book, movie, TV series, etc's plotline. If something is fannon it is not true to the plotline set out by the creator of said fandom.
In layman's terms, something is fannon if it has no proof within the original material. IE Professor McGonnagal had children. This is fannon because very little is known about McGonnagal other than that she is Transfiguration teacher, Head of Gryffindor House, and Deputy Headmistress to Professor Dumbledore.

So, having said that, I'm utterly confused. Cannon to the books is the original, legit cannon regarding Harry Potter, right? The books were written by the original creator, Jo Rowling, and therefore can only contradict one another. But some things that are cannon to the movies aren't cannon to the books. In the books, Hagrid never had bats or crows. In the books, Harry got the sword of Godric Gryffindor after he'd placed it on his head, it didn't just appear while still on the ground. (Yes, these are petty details, but if I were to give more solid examples they would no doubt be considered spoilers.)
So does that mean that what's cannon to the movies is fannon to the books?
I dunno, but I do know that I'm all Pottered up. XD Pottermore's sneak preview window thingy opened at midnight, and I got in--sorta. I'm still waiting for my Welcome email, but the FAQ's said it would probably take a while since so many millions of people are trying to get in. Check out the website for more info--I'm not gonna spoil nothin fer nobody.

However, with school starting up soon, expect a minimum of a post a week. I'm trying to keep my writing up, even if it's just ranting or rambling about my day/week. I'd like to eventually get up to a post a day, but as it IS my senior year, don't get your hopes up. I have to bring myself into the top 25 students in order to attend U of A, which means me actually doing homework when it's assigned instead of half-arsing it the night before. I'm aiming for straight A's all year, which means I may very well kill what little 'social time' I currently posess. Said social time being solely myself doing Merlin-knows-what on a computer and generally staring at screens reading/writing fanfiction or playing around on MMD.
S'yeah. Where the hell did my summer go? T_T

This has been a certified drabble courtesy of Sincerely Doubtful Productions. All things Harry Potter are (c) The wonderful goddess that is Jo Rowling. Harry Potter Movies are trademarks of Warner Bros. Studios. Pottermore is hosted by Sony, so they get some credit too XD

No comments:

Post a Comment